Kite surfing is an extreme sport that combines the sensations of wind and surf. Its characteristic element is the kite that propels the sportsman on his surfboard. In Lanzarote, the practice of kite surfing has multiplied in recent years. The kite surfer hooks up by means of a harness to the kite and then is fixed to the surfboard. The favorable climate conditions can be found on the beaches of Famara, in the northwest of the island, and Guacimeta, in the east of Lanzarote.
Initiation into this sport is not difficult, but it is advisable to do it under the guide of a qualified tutor to guarantee one’s own safety while practicing the sport. The main abilities taught begin by understanding how to control the kite. Its behavior with the wind will be assimilated first on firm ground. Then, sliding over the water with it without a surfboard, and finally, this last element is added. In two or three days we will be prepared to do some “laps”.
The sensations, as with all sports of this kind, are so addictive that anytime the wind blows and there is any free time to practice, you find kite surfers running to the sea with their equipment in tow. There are three styles of kite surfing: slalom, waves and tricks. The kites have different dimensions, according to the wind strength and the kite surfer’s level. The existing boards are adapted to these styles.
Where to learn kite surfing in Lanzarote
– Surfkitelanzarote. kitesurf Initiation and Advanced Courses. Single lesson: 30 euros. Two people: 25 euros cada persona. Groups: More information: 669 207 213, e-mail [email protected] or directly in its website.
– VolcanoKite School: kitesurf Initiation Courses, Advanced Courses, and Wave Kitesurfing. Ask about Accommodation (apartments or KiteCamp). More info: www.volcanokite.com and in the phone 629712770.
– Lanzarote Kite: Beginners and advanced courses. Prices, hours and information: +34 928 821 086, +34 678 380 014, +34 646 856 300, http://www.lanzarotekite.com/contacto.html and lanzarotekite.com.
– Calima Surf: Beginners and advanced courses. Prices, hours and information: +34 928 528 528, +34 626 913 369, [email protected] and calimasurf.com.
– Hotstick Kite School Lanzarote: Beginners and advanced courses. Information: +34 928 826 100, +34 647 155 516 and on the web page of the sports school.